Monday, April 21, 2008

Check out "The Hillary Deathwatch", here: http://www.slate.com/id/2187558/

Here is the text of an email I sent them a couple days ago:

Dear Hillary Deathwatch: ...I won't tell you how long I've been making my prediction except that I began in 2007. Here it is: McCain will be President, courtesy of Hillary Clinton. Here's why: Hillary will destroy her campaign. If she has the best circumatances and support and funding, etc., she will sieze defeat from the jaws of victory. She will do this with such venom, violence, and lack of impulse control, and hang on so long, that she will devastate Obama's campaign. Obama's campaign is already weak, since he's a lightweight who has no staying power in any case. His campaign would fizzle in any case. Hillary will finish it off. The reason for all this is that Hillary is a classic "control freak". These people show their compulsive side all along, though they can often go for years with a great show of plausibility, often getting a lot done and fooling people for a long time. But they all eventually fall into a pattern of episodes of paranoia, making ham-handed and shocking attacks, treating everyone around them as a conniving enemy to be outmaneuvered. Yes, they eventually think everyone around them is like they are. At the far left of the bell curve for control freaks is, say, a clinging mother who tries too hard to control her grown children and has irrational temper tantrums. Hillary is somewhere near the center of the bell. At the far right end are the career criminals who can be charming and convincing for a while, then end up seeing even their own lawyers as out to get them. They lose their plausible veneer and show their true appalling colors. ...It's been clear to me for years that Hillary is in this category, and she was already having trouble controlling it during Bill's presidency. Now the episodes are coming fast and furious, during what is arguably the most important enterprise of her life. I predict that before the end of April she will do at least one more really big mistake; another lie (control freaks end up believing they can convince anybody of whatever they want) or another senseless attack on Obama or someone else. I predict that before the end of June, if she is still campaigning, she will have done something more extreme and shocking than she has ever done; perhaps even a public hate rant that makes the drunken Mel Gibson look like Mother Teresa. Oh, and as a friend of mine remarked, she will give up on her campaign when they pry it from her cold, dead fingers. She will be very stupid about not giving up. If she gave up now and supported Obama, he would have a chance, and she would have the political good will and capital to make another try at the Oval Office. But her "control" syndrome has gone around the bend now, and she will not do so. There are my prophecies, so to speak. Let's see how many of them come true!

LogEyed_Roman


Now I know I'm sticking my neck out on this, and anything can happen. Yet I am convinced this is by far the likliest outcome. Senator Clinton's character really seems to me the most important factor, considering that otherwise none of the candidates is a shoe-in.

Perhaps later I will go into more detail about why I have come up with such a confident, definite opinion of her character.

I, as you might guess, an not on her side (as a candidate, anyway). So here's for some logectomy:

I, and all the rest of us who dislike her as a public figure, have to be on guard against the very malice and the "control" impulse that can give a little too much enjoyment to watching those we dislike or even disagree with go down. I am not at all backing down from my opinion of her character, but we are all sinners too. Especially me. A certain satisfaction; even a relief when we see someone with alarming and disturbing tendencies to attack those she disagrees with is exposed for what she is and perhaps thwarted in getting power she can't be trusted with--that's fine. But if we let ourselves be overly malicious, we might as well just turn around and join a Hillary Wannabee club.

A Christian writer recently published an article asking evangelicals to tone down their hate language about here. "Mrs. Satan"; "Hitlery" are a couple of examples. I have to confess that each of those tickled me when I heard it, and I could feel the temptation to use them extensively. That would be wrong. It would be a sin, and if allowed to continue far enough would surely cause us to bring about as much or more of the hateful actions in society we fear Hillary Clinton would produce.

So let us remain firm in our honest opinions of someone's faults, but not give in to the temptation to hatred and moral superiority, lest we become worse than they are.

LogEyed Roman

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home